Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Tops 5 films of 2011 so far...

We are a little beyond the halfway marker for the 2011.  So, I’m doing a countdown of my top five films of the year so far.  Granted I have not seen every movie out there, and there are a few that I have not had a chance to catch up with that would no doubt be in contention for this list are: Win Win, Midnight in Paris, Beginners, and Jane Eyre.  So with that disclaimer, I give you my top five of 2011 so far in order from five down to my number one.
5.) Coming in at number five I have J.J. Abrams homage to Steven Spielberg,Super 8.   With its blend of mysterious aliens, and a rag tag group of youngster using their summer freedom to make a zombie flick, Super 8, managed to capture my youth and everything I loved about 80’s cinema.  For me the two storylines worked well as the kids’ and alien’s worlds came closer together leading us to a heart-wrenching climax that I have to admit left the theatre a little dusty.  Sure, some of the camera angles and placement only serve to hide the creature’s identity at times, and there are a few moments of suspended disbelief, but overall Abrams homage had everything I wanted in a great summer flick.  The film left me satisfied and more importantly hopeful that with great directors, like Abrams, there is still a place for a bit of story magic in Hollywood.  That’s why Super 8 is my number 5.
4.) Just making my number four slot is none other than Duncan Jones Sophomore effort, Source Code.  Source Code’s high concept and great direction ultimately pay off, in what some have called a resurgence of “Hictchcokian” suspense.  For me the sci-fi elements were enough to keep me engaged and glued to all the twists and turns in this thriller.  The performances are solid, despite Jeffrey Wright’s “mad scientist” role turning a little hammy at times, and Gyllenhal pulls off the “dude with a problem” archetype perfectly as he navigates the memories of his Quantum Leapesque alter, Sean Fentress.  Overall the Groundhog’s Day meets john Malcovich elements worked really well to breath some life into sci-fi, which has been taken over by the horror genre in recent years.  I’m glad Jones and Co. have given us a reason to push the genre into a new direction while maintaining the elements that helped define it.  Hopefully we’ll see more from Jones soon, and that’s why Source Code deserves my number 4 slot.
3.) Winning the battle for my number 3 slot is the great documentary,American: The Bill Hicks Story.  I walked into this film, not knowing really anything about it, or really anything about Bill Hicks.  Yes, I had heard the name before, but never had a chance to sit down and see what all the fuss was about, but I’m glad I did.  American, is the true story of famed comedian Bill Hicks, whose blend of political and social humor carved out a large place for his sometimes over the top comedic persona.  This documentary is truly top notch engrossing subject matter, and directors, Paul Thomas and Matt Harlock, bring the story to life through some amazing visual graphics and photos.  Accompanied by personal accounts from Bill’s friends and family,American, paints a picture of a trouble young comic’s rise, fall, and rise again into the comedy hall of fame.  This is a beautiful crafted brutally honest look at a brilliant comic who passed in his prime.  Unlike most docs, this particular one doesn’t have much of a social agenda, but serves more as a cautionary tale.  I think the most admiral quality of the film is the way it makes ourselves reflect on our friends and how much influence they have in our lives and memories.  So, check this great doc out on netflix streaming and pay homage to my number 3 and true American, Bill Hicks. 
2.) My number two is none other than everyone’s favorite super human thirteen-year-old, Hanna.  This film fires at all the senses as we explore hyper reality through the camera lens of future Oscar winner, Joe Wright.  Accompanied by an all-star cast including: Cate Blanchett, Soirese Ronan, and Eric Bana, Wright and Co. manage to create an incredibly visceral coming of age thriller.  The action sets are excellent, but remain balanced as Hanna begins to discover life outside of her father’s institutions.  Hanna is a feast for the eyes, but one aspect of this film that sores above others is its unique sound track and overall mix.  It’s riddled with sound effects, and nuances that captivate Hanna’s virgin mind conveying the confusion and excitement she must feel at every turn.  Blanchett is superb as the over the top CIA agent that must cover her own tracks and stop Hanna.  There are extremely longs takes in this film that culminate in what one could only describe as a “symphony of violence” that any true cinemafile would appreciate.  Wright’s direction and story telling have never been better; he has really pushed the boundary of his own comfort levels expanding his toolbox to the unfamiliar.  Hanna is a great ride, which is a stray from the usual fair.  With strong female protagonists and kids man-handling adults, Hanna knocks its way to number 2 on my list.
1.) My number one is full of all my guilty pleasures: quirky characters, a great soundtrack, beautiful cinematography, surreal thoughts, and teenage angst.  Yes, I’m speaking of Richard Ayoade’s indie, Submarine. Ayoade’s unique blend of comedy and heart culminate into a beautiful coming of age story that Wes Anderson and Hal Ashby would be proud to call their own.  The story is simple, but the characters are deeply complex.  Keeping the plot simple keeps the story moving, while the surreal thoughts of Oliver Tate play like dreamscapes I want to visit over and over.  Unfortunately movies like Submarine suffer from limited engagements and low distribution.  Hopefully if more audiences demand distributors get their mitts on more original films than the standard Hollywood fare, films like Submarine, stand a good chance of saving the cinema from seasoned clichés and Michael Bay wannabes.  Do yourself a big favor, if you live in the Chicago, LA, or NYC area make your way to the theatre and show you support.  However, I realize most of you won’t be able to journey to these locations; so, please ad this to your netflix queue and continue to support indie film.
And that about wraps it up for my top five.  Again there are some films that I would like to see that have already come out that more than likely would have made my list.  This list will no doubt change as we begin to wrap up the rest of the year in cinema.  Perhaps one of these five picks will be lucky enough to run the gauntlet and Oscar season to remain afloat in the coveted spots.  Again if you agree or disagree with my opinions consider posting a response.

No comments:

Post a Comment