Thursday, June 2, 2011

Top 5 Character actors of all Time



Let me just say this was a very tough list to piece together.  There are so many talented and truly great character actors to choose from, how do you narrow it down to just five?  It’s like choosing your favorite bite of ice cream, there all so good!  Another inherent problem with this list is determining, who qualifies as a “character” actor and isn’t just a star in their own right.  Example, Brendon Gleeson is a great character actor, but is almost too notable to be considered.   I like to think of a character actor as one, whose face you recognize, but can’t put a name to it.  You know the type I mean.  Chances are you have probably uttered these words at the silver screen or at a coffee shop with friends: “Oh it’s that guy, I love that guy” or “You know the one I mean, he’s in all those Cohen brothers films”.  These actors are true masters of their craft and selfless.  Performing to the same degree if not better than the major stars with which they share the screen.  They often make the scene memorable or propel their co-stars to perform to the best of their ability.  And so, with that I give you my top five selfless actors starting at number five and working down to my number one.

(CLICK ON THE LINKS TO VIEW PHOTOS OF THE ACTORS)

5.) My number five has been in such greats as Braveheart, Sin City, Gladiator, Smokin Aces, The Game, Ratcacther, and has worked with some of the finest director’s in the industry.  If you said Brendon Gleeson, you’d be wrong, it’s Scottish born actor, Tommy Flanagan.  Flanagan’s unique facial scars and on screen talents have made him an unforgettable actor, that has always brought his “A” game to the screen.  Whether he’s playing a random henchman, a loyal servant to a general turned slave, or battling the English alongside William Wallace, Flannigan never disappoints.  And, that’s why he’s my number five.

4.) My number four is equally as notable as my number one.  He has put his stamp on not just the silver screen, but the small screen as well.  He got his start on the day time soap “As the World Turns” and continues to light up prime time with a recurring role in the smash hit “Prison Break”.  He’s been in my favorite heist film, “HEAT”, earning him great admiration from director Chris Nolan, and a small part in his 2008 masterpiece, “The Dark Knight”.  Of course I’m speaking of William Fichtner.  Let’s run down a few of Mr. Fichtner’s notable films: Crash, The Dark Knight, Heat, Go, The Longest Yard, Malcolm X, Black Hawk Down, Armageddon, Contact, and the list goes on.  One of my favorite performances was his portrayal of an undercover cop in “Go”.  Comedic timing, awkward comments, and twitchy nature made him the most memorable character in the film.  William’s career spans several decades, and his body of work is no doubt impressive.  Because of his longevity and ability to enhance the performances of the actors on screen with him, William has earned my number four spot and the proverbial, “That Guy” award. 

3.) I was first introduced to my number three actor in one of the greatest science fiction films of all time, where he played, Parker, one of the Nostromo’s expendable crew, in Ridley Scott’s, “Alien”.  Later he played disgruntled factory worker, Smokey James, in the brilliant sleeper hit “Blue Collar” written and directed by “Taxi driver” scribe, Paul Schrader.  He then went on to star with Robert Redford in “Brubaker” and even managed to share the screen with the governator himself, Arnold Swartzeneger in the cheesy action flick, “Running Man”.  Yes, Yaphet Kotto has run the gauntlet (pun intended) and brought us some of the most memorable moments in cinema history.  For those of you, who have not seen “Blue Collar” I highly, recommend you put it on your queue.  It’s a hard one to find on DVD these days, but well worth your time.  Kotto’s presence on screen is strong and tangible.  He brings a sense of realism to any of the characters he plays, whether he’s trapped on an alien craft, or trapped in the social class of “middle America”.  That’s why Yaphet Kotto breaks in to the number three spot on my list.

2.)  I’m just going to come out and say it.  My number two is Peter Stormore.  Now, I know what you are asking.  “Who in the hell is Peter Stormore?”  All I have to do to jolt your memory into working order, is describe what I believe could be one of the most memorable moments in film history.  And yes, I realize I have said this before, but let me set this up for you.  It’s a blistery cold day in northern Wisconsin.  You’re tired, pregnant, and have your gun in your hand.  You hear a strange motor sound emanating from the rear of the house you are investigating.  You peak around the side into the backyard only to run into Peter Stormore feeding his partner in crime, Steve Buscemi, into a wood chipper.  This scene, of course, is the finally to one of Joel and Ethan Cohen’s many masterpieces, “Fargo”.  After “Fargo” Peter was on my radar, a unique look, a strange array of characters, and an ability to appear in endless Cohen bros. films.  He played Uli, a German nihilist in “The Big L”, the devil, Lucifer himself, in “Constantine”, a small bit part in Spielberg’s “The Lost World”, a derange surgeon in another one of my favorite sci-fi films, “Minority Report”, and possible his best role as, Slippery Pete, in an unforgettable episode of “Seinfeld” where he attempted to battery power a “Frogger” arcade game in order to save Geoge Costanza’s only amazing feet of his life, the coveted high score slot.  For that alone Pete you made my number two.

1.) Although my number one has only been in five feature films, each is a masterpiece, and his performances are superb in all of them.  What is that old adage?  “There are no small parts, only small actors”.  Well my number one is the essence of that statement.  Every one of his choices was carefully considered, every motivation examined, even the little idiosyncrasies of his characters were carefully thought out.  His five features include: “The Godfather”, “The Godfather: Part II”, “Deerhunter”, “Dog Day Afternoon”, and Coppola’s, “The Conversation”.  I of course am referring to everyone’s neurotic older brother, Sonny, played by late great, John Cazele.  Cazele is one of the greats.  If you ask anyone of the actor’s that has had the pleasure of sharing the screen with him, they will have nothing to say but praise.  Cazele has played some of the most memorable and important characters in film history.  His wirery and sometimes haggard mustache along with that shrill nasally voice are all part of his odd appeal.  His unique appearance combined with his incredible talents forced his co-stars to elevate their own abilities, because if they hadn’t his presence on screen would over shadow them.  Cazele is one of the rare character actors, which if he had not passed so early in his career there’s no telling how many shiny gold statues he would have brought home.  And, for these reasons are why John Cazele is my number one character actor of all time.

And, there you have it my top five character actors of all time.  Now don’t get me wrong there are many others that could have and probably should have made my list.  Here are some of my honorable mentions that didn’t quite make the cut:  J.K Simmons, Michael Rooker, J.T. Walsh, Frank Whaley, Bob Gunton, and Clancy Brown.  Below are photos of all the actors who made my list.  You can find out more about all of them on IMDB.com.  Finally, if you agree or disagree with my opinion consider writing a response below.  I look forward to hearing from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment