Friday, June 3, 2011

"Tree of Life" Review



I’m not really sure where to begin this review.  I’m still trying to soak up everything.  Piecing together the different astronomical events make compose “Tree of Life” is daunting in itself.  If you are familiar with Malick’s work then you should have some grasp of how this movie is going to be edited together, but I assure you, all of your revisiting of “The New World”, “The Thin Red Line”, or even “Badlands” can’t prepare you for this film.  This is by far Malick’s most ambitious work to date.  His unique blend of nature, story, and character is pushed to the extreme in this almost Kubrikian tale of a post WWII Texas family. 

The film explains that there are two ways in which to live you life, through “Grace” or “Nature”.  I’m not going to pretend I really know what this means.  I’m not sure which “way” we are even witnessing.  TOL poses a lot of tough questions for its audience:  Why are we here?  Where did we come from? , and perhaps, Where are we going?  However, I don’t think it answers any of them, but that’s a good thing. Instead TOL asks us to reflect on these ideas.  It would be pretty self-indulgent if Malick did in fact answer any one of these questions.  This movie, at least for me, does make me reflect on my own up brining and, more so my own Father’s.  It puts a typical 1950’s family on display and their attempt to co-existence.  These scenes of the 50’s family archetype juxtaposed against stunning visuals of the universe, creation, life evolving, the big bang, the earth coming into form; all of it seeming to lead us to think is this the proper way in which we too should have evolved?  But, is this the right path?  There are so many beautiful moments in this film.  Emanuel Lubezki, the cinematographer, is a true master of his craft.  Every frame is perfect.  And, It’s this perfection at times that makes it so hard to watch.  Watching these perfect images of this family deteriorate is difficult to stomach because it is simply so beautiful to watch.  It is quite an esoteric journey.  I’m very much on the fence on this one.  I think it’s a film you have to experience for yourself in order to reach your own conclusion.  I hate to be like humpty dumpty, but that’s the only advice I can give on this particular film.

I feel that while I’m writing this review, I’m trying to process so much of what I have seen that it is difficult to even make a coherent critique of this film.  So I’ll digress and talk about the performances.
Brad Pitt is really quite good as over-bearing father, Mr. Obrien.  He is strict and unflinching as he instills his will upon the other members of the family be it through his words or physical actions.  As I sat and watched him enforce his rule on the innocence on screen, I couldn’t help but be taken over with fear myself, but thankful that he wasn’t my father.  Jessica Chastain is also very good, as the selfless mother, trying to keep the balance between her role as mother and dutiful wife.  The regret and fear she constantly feels is captured well in her reactions and facial expressions.  I think my favorite performance was Hunter McCracken, who played young Jack.  Hunter does an amazing job conveying his fear and hatred toward his father.  The tension Jack feels in his father’s presence is tangible.  This young actor gave a truly remarkable performance, and after Hollywood gets wind of this performance I’m sure we will see young Hunter more in the future.

Again if you agree or disagree with my opinion consider posting a response.

No comments:

Post a Comment